Monday, January 14, 2013

Here's Lilly by Nancy Rue

This is a delightful book designed for elementary age girls.  My 6 year old daughter and I read this story, about a spirited 6th grader named Lilly Robbins.  Its main theme and message centers around true beauty and what that really looks like.  

One day at school, Lilly takes part in a presentation by a women in the modeling industry.  After receiving some positive attention about her looks, she becomes obsessed with an upcoming modeling contest, and ends up loosing her true self in the process.  

I loved this book because it shows how even the main character (who generally has a decent head on her shoulders) can get caught up in vain pursuits.  It is so difficult for girls to receive positive messages about body image in a way they will really identify with, and I like how Nancy Rue combines fiction and non-fiction in these series to really drive home a message of biblical beauty.  

But I will really give my 6 year old the vote on this one, and she "loves it!"

This book was provided to me for free by Booksneeze, contingent on an unbiased review.



No comments:

Post a Comment